Unexpected, unrealistic and lots of heart {The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson}


When the unexpected is the best thing that could ever happen.

About The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson*: Andie had it all planned out. When you are a politician’s daughter who’s pretty much raised yourself, you learn everything can be planned or spun, or both. Especially your future. Important internship? Check. Amazing friends? Check. Guys? Check (as long as we’re talking no more than three weeks). But that was before the scandal. Before having to be in the same house with her dad. Before walking an insane number of dogs. That was before Clark and those few months that might change her whole life. Because here’s the thing—if everything’s planned out, you can never find the unexpected. And where’s the fun in that?

My two cents

Sometimes I get an unsolicited book for review in the mail. I barely read Young Adult but I don't ever close my doors on YA because there is undeniably some great stuff out there. This was unsolicited, unexpected in many ways, and most importantly I enjoyed it!

This will be some of my thoughts, very quickly:

What I liked

  • The feeling, the tone! This is fun, upbeat, light, quick reading. But it's not too fluffy. There's a lot of feeling in the situations and the dialogues, and it's easy to relate to what is going on. 
  • The themes -- friendship, opening oneself up to change, being open to the unexpected -- I think it's a great message for those who are in the prime of their life. I'm happy to hear stories about disappointments early in life, rather than painting life to always be rosy!

What I didn't quite like

  • Sure, Andie is the daughter of a politician. She has amazing friends. She conveniently has boyfriend(s) who know all the political protocols behind dating the daughter of a politician. Probably unlikely that readers belong to the demographic but it's kind of like reading The Princess Diaries - highly improbable but the characters and storytelling make it relatable. 
  • Speaking of The Princess Diaries, why does there always have to be the requisite party bust? 
  • I doubt that teenagers will need to hear the message "loosen up" and "go party," but ok, ok, diversity in messages.
  • Plot-wise, cute... but hyperextended much at 500+ pages!


Verdict

An unexpectedly good YA read which allowed me to relax and relive younger days. Popcorn reading. Lots of heart.

No comments

Post a Comment




© guiltless readingMaira Gall